Open Source Science Data Repositories Workshop
NASA is making a long-term commitment to building an inclusive open science community over the next decade with the Open Source Science Initiative and the NASA data repositories are a key partner with the SMD communities and in sharing NASA scientific information. Following up on the Data Repositories Workshop hosted at Glenn Research Center back in 2018, the purpose of this workshop is to engage with the NASA data repositories on the next steps in sharing NASA scientific information and open science. This includes the following themes:
- Core Data and Computing Services for Open Source Science
- Cross divisional tools for science discovery and exploration
- Transform to Open Science (TOPS)
- SMD policies and standards related to Open Science
- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion at Data Repositories
As well as encourage attendees to share and discuss cross disciplinary activities, highlight the work of their data repositories, as well as facilitated unconference sessions determined by participant interest.
- Spread awareness and provide updates on OSSI activities and Open Science Principles
- “Unconference” capabilities to allow Data Repositories to speak and share their concerns and interests
- Increase visibility, knowledge, and awareness of programs, capabilities, guidelines, and platforms being developed for scientific research
- Facilitate public outreach on NASA’s Open Science Effort
- Knowledge sharing on strategies for diversity and inclusion
Open meeting, but of specific interest to researchers, big data teams, and archivists at the Science Mission Directorate (SMD) Data Repositories along with missions and community members working in these areas.
Tuesday through Friday, 27 - 30 September 2022
Watch the September workshops (YouTube)
The workshop will be virtual with an in person option at Langley Research Center. The research center includes a large conference room for presentations and various breakout/discussion rooms to accommodate various planned activities. Space will also be provided for digital demonstrations or testing. Each room will accommodate virtual attendance options for those who do not/ cannot attend virtually.
- 1 Large conference/presentation room - Pearl Theater
- 2 Large Discussion Rooms - Reid Rooms
- 2-3 Breakout Rooms - Other surrounding rooms in LaRC
Register for the Open Source Science Data Repositories Workshop
- Steve Crawford - Lead Event POC
- Christian Reyes - Lead Event Coordinator
Code of Conduct
This meeting will be held following the Transform to Open Science Code of Conduct.
For the in person option, we will be following the NASA protocols for visitors related to COVID. Due to the uncertain changing conditions and to assure accessibility, we expect to require masking for in person events held indoors during the meeting. We will be posting more information soon.