Transform to Open Science (TOPS)
From 2022 to 2027, TOPS will accelerate the engagement of the scientific community in open science practices through events and activities aimed at:
- Lowering barriers to entry for historically excluded communities
- Better understanding how people use NASA data and code to take advantage of our big data collections
- Increasing opportunities for collaboration while promoting scientific innovation, transparency, and reproducibility.
The TOPS mission is aligned with recommendations from NASA’s Strategy for Data Management and Computing for Groundbreaking Science 2019-2024, the National Academies reports on open science, reproducibility, and scientific software, and the 2021 UNESCO draft Recommendation on Open Science synthesis report.
Please join the TOPS email list to hear about further activates and become more involved!
Within the TOPS mission, NASA is designating 2023 as the Year Of Open Science (YOOS), a global community initiative to spark change and inspire open science engagement through events and activities that will shift the current paradigm. TOPS is only a starting point; NASA is making a long term commitment to support building an inclusive open science community over the next decade. To support the effort, TOPS has three overarching goals:
- Increase understanding and adoption of open science principles and techniques in our Mission and Research Communities
- Accelerate major scientific discoveries through supporting the adoption of open science
- Broaden participation by historically excluded communities