NASA STEM Enhancement in Earth Science (SEES) 2020 Virtual Summer High School Internship
In response to the current COVID restrictions, the 2020 SEES program went virtual to provided a safe virtual summer internship experience opportunity for 333 high school sophomores and juniors over 13 different project choices. SEES Interns worked remotely with Scientists and Engineers at UT/CSR conducting NASA supported research on astronomy, remote sensing, space geodetic techniques to help understand Earth systems, natural hazards, COVID, and climate science. Students also participated in a Zoom SEES Speaker Series where they were able to interact with subject matter experts. Students completed a 3-week pre-internship lesson to prepare them to work along side their mentors. Students connected with their mentors through online platforms to complete pre-internship modules, learn about their project, and research a project focus. In the last week, student research teams presented their projects to mentors via a live Zoom webinar and Q&A. The live public event was broadcast on YouTube, The 2020 SEES Virtual Showcase, with presentations by selected research teams from each project.
- 9th graders (3), 10th graders (126), and 11th graders (173) from 45 US states, 1 territory, and 2 international
- 82 total student research projects completed (team and individual)
- 302 students received Certificates of Completion
- 348 Python certifications completed
- 171 Coding-Basic
- 98 Coding-Intermediate
- 79 Coding-Advanced
- 1,084 attended the 11 SEES Speaker Series presentations.
- 25% were from underserved areas and 42% underrepresented.
- GLOBE Mosquito Mapper Group
- Fieldwork: >7,000 observations submitted from
- Classified >8,000 land cover images from NASA satellites on Collect Earth
- 39 media reports highlighted participating interns (Social media, news articles, and newspaper)
Webinars had a total of 2931 views in the last 28 days.
- 771 were on the day of the showcase.
- Audience retention is an average of 2.5-3.5 hours.
“SEES changed my life because it gave me a new perspective on what I can contribute to establishing a human presence on other planets.”
- Samantha Estrada, SEES 2020