Amendment 24: A.53 Technology Development for Support of Wildfire Science, Management, and Disaster Mitigation (FireTech) Final Text and Due Dates.
A major goal of A.53 Technology Development for Support of Wildfire Science, Management, and Disaster Mitigation (FireTech) is to demonstrate improved wildfire management through the use of novel suborbital platforms. Through close coordination with ARMD, the project intends to demonstrate new observation capabilities through the use of next-generation platforms that will enable high resolution measurements while effectively “staring” at critical targets for days to months. The program seeks ideas that span observation and information system technologies that:
- Enhance capabilities of existing science instruments needed for monitoring pre-fire, active-fire, and post-fire environments;
- Reduce mass and power of instruments for accommodation by next-generation small spacecraft and aerial platforms;
- Enable unprecedented measurements from multiple vantage points through model-directed, coordinated observations using autonomous tasking;
- Address computational challenges for modeling and for data acquisition, fusion, and processing in a real-time environment;
- Facilitate machine learning and artificial intelligence to create new data products needed for wildfire management and for management of the constellation of observing platforms;
- Enable the seamless exchange of information between spaceborne, airborne, and in-situ assets.
ROSES-2022 Amendment 24 releases final text and due dates for A.53 FireTech. Step-1 proposals may be submitted at any time but will be reviewed quarterly starting with those submitted by August 2, 2022, see Section 2. Step-2 proposals are by invitation only.
On or about June 10, 2022, this Amendment to the NASA Research Announcement "Research Opportunities in Space and Earth Sciences (ROSES) 2022" (NNH22ZDA001N) will be posted on the NASA research opportunity homepage at https://solicitation.nasaprs.com/ROSES2022.
The main point of contact for A.53 FireTech is Michael Seablom who may be reached at Michael.S.Seablom@nasa.gov. The other points of contact are David Green (David.S.Green@nasa.gov), Barry Lefer (Barry.Lefer@nasa.gov), and Michael Falkowski (Michael.Falkowski@nasa.gov).