Biological and Physical Sciences in Space
Decadal Surveys are community-driven, bottom-up studies produced by the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine (NASEM) that aim to formulate a community consensus about the most compelling science questions for the decade ahead in each of the disciplines. This process provides a rare opportunity for scientists and engineers to share their insights and help shape the scientific endeavors of the next decade.
NASEM will be establishing a Decadal Survey Committee. This committee will be announcing a solicitation for white papers for the second Decadal Survey in the areas of Biological and Physical Sciences. For the first time, the Survey will include a request for ideas for "research campaigns," which may integrate multiple missions and multiple disciplines to tackle an overarching scientific or exploration goal. Thus, academic researchers, government agencies and commercial industries are encouraged to collaborate with colleagues and submit proposals.
Prior to the establishment of the Decadal Survey Committee, NASEM’s Committee on Biological and Physical Sciences in Space (CBPSS) is calling for community input on preliminary ideas regarding key issues, challenges and emerging topics in the field for consideration in the Decadal Survey.
For more information about the Decadal Survey and how to get involved:
Submit Ideas for 2023-2032 Decadal Survey
- Statement of Task: Full Statement of Task (NASEM)
- Committee on Biological and Physical Sciences in Space (NASEM)
Connect with Colleagues
- Follow #BPSDecadalSurvey on social platforms
- American Society for Gravitational and Space Research (ASGSR)
- Workshops: American Society for Gravitational and Space Research (ASGSR) Decadal Survey Workshops
- Sep 29, 2020 Webinar Materials and Recording:
- Decadal Surveys Website: National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine (NASEM)
- Report: 2011 Decadal Survey in Life and Physical Sciences Research
- Report: 2011 Decadal Survey in Life and Physical Sciences Research Midterm Assessment