NAC Science Committee
The NAC Science Committee is a standing committee of the NASA Advisory Council (NAC), supporting the advisory needs of the NASA Administrator, the NASA Science Mission Directorate (SMD), and other NASA Mission Directorates, as required. The scope of the Committee includes all NASA Earth and space science-related programs, projects, activities and facilities.
The Committee operates under the Terms of Reference that are approved by the NASA Administrator. The Committee is managed under procedures that ensure the same spirit of openness and public accountability that is embodied by the Federal Advisory Committee Act (FACA). This includes public meetings and public access to Committee records.
The Committee consists of between 5 and 15 members. The current members and their biographical sketches are available on the Members page.
The Committee coordinates with the Science Advisory Committees, and the Chairs of each of these committees are Science Committee members. The Science Advisory Committees and their respective Chairs are listed below.
Science Committee Name (Acronym) and Chair
- Astrophysics Advisory Committee (APAC) - Dr. Scott Gaudi
- Earth Science Advisory Committee (ESAC) - Dr. James Marshall Shepherd
- Heliophysics Advisory Committee (HPAC) - Dr. Jill Dahlburg
- Planetary Science Advisory Committee (PAC) - Dr. Anne Verbiscer
- Applied Sciences Advisory Committee (ASAC) - Ms. Cass Green
The Committee includes one subcommittee, with a Chair that sits on the Science Committee
- Planetary Protection Subcommittee (PPS) - Vacant as of 3/12/2017
The Science Committee also includes one task force, with a Chair that does not sit on the Science Committee.
- Ad-Hoc Big Data Task Force - Dr. Charles Holmes